[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Test repository with gcc7

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Mon May 15 19:53:11 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:30 PM Hao Zhang via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Thank you very much! I also tried building retroarch and have no problem
> building it with GCC 7. Now we found the reason why MariaDB fails to build,
> there are two ways of fixing it and I have verified both methods work:
> 1) patch gcc to remove line 197-203 from gcc-ar.c (these lines are not
> present
> in gcc 6.3.1)
> 2) make a symlink of the files ar, nm and ranlib in /usr/local/bin.

These lines were introduced in this commit:
https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/commit/eeb6872bfdfd1e71b27de6f62a5f5c08a2efb015

What a weird bug. This looks like the MariaDB compilation uses gcc-ar
instead of binutils ar. Based on what I can tell from the code, gcc-ar here
expects to be in a non-standard path and named "ar" in order to wrap the
binutils ar, similar to how ccache works. But gcc-ar is named "gcc-ar" and
located in the same dir as the binutils ar, so things break.

Is MariaDB using LTO?