[arch-general] Arch Linux PC as a Remote Desktop Node

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 27 18:17:07 UTC 2018

Em julho 27, 2018 14:46 Foxtrot Mike via arch-general escreveu:

> The issue with x2go and ltsp is that I'll have to separately manage
> username and passwords for local Linux login. The solution that I'd
> rather prefer would use Active directory authentication so the current
> system administrator won't have to do anything extra. The group policies
> are already there. Once the Arch system is properly configured, I'd
> disable local logins so there will be very limited chance for a user to
> corrupt/modify Arch system. And ideally, the user would have no way to
> interact with the local system. Thats why I want to limit the user to
> freeRDP. Anything else, and the X-session expires.

You have more than one option to authenticate to windows AD servers [0] . You
have PAM Ldap, winbind, making a samba server the secondary controller, etc.

You will probably need a local home dir for storing session data, but this can
be created/destroyed on demand.

> Plus, I am very much into embedded linux systems (routers, SBCs, etc). I
> think putting the various pieces together would be give me a lot more to
> learn as compared to using a third party specialized software such as a
> kiosk script.

Why reinvent the wheel here? I understand the need for learning, but I wouldn't
do this on something that is intended as a production system. Again, don't use
plain X protocol over the network, it's very wasteful.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Integration