[arch-general] Doubts with 'apulse'

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:04:25 UTC 2020

Op di 7 apr. 2020 04:21 schreef riveravaldez via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org>:

> Hi, if this queries must go to some other specific places (forums,
> AUR, etc.) please let me know so I move them there.
>
> 2. According to [2] «to allow ALSA programs to play while JACK is
> running edit (or create) /etc/asound.conf» with this:
> [...]
>
> Now, when I installed apulse, I got this instruction: «For using
> PulseAudio emulation create a proper .asoundrc: $ cp
> /usr/share/apulse/asoundrc.sample ~/.asoundrc».

Note that these are different filenames. /etc/asound.conf is a system-wide
setting (settings for all users on the system), whereas ~/asoundrc is only
for the current user (~ refers to the homedirectory for the current user).

Is there any relation or conflict between those two files?

Usually the file in the homedir (~) will overrule any global (/etc)
settings. They may be merged, but the global one could also be ignored if a
personal one exists.

It might be wise to inspect the contents of /usr/share/apulse/asoundrc.sample
as that is an example config.

Mvg, Guus