[arch-general] Telinit?

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 19:36:44 UTC 2020

Op ma 17 aug. 2020 18:08 schreef David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>:

> On 8/17/20 12:01 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
> > systemctl rescue
>
> Thanks!
>

> > But this begs the question, why are you doing this before running pacman?
>
> ???  I always shut down all running daemons when I'm about to update my
> system - seems like standard operating procedure to me:

For (older) Windows systems: yes, something like this was sometimes
neccesary. Unix behaves different:

1) I'd expect
> that it would be completely unpredictable what would happen if you
> updated/replaced an application's files while it was running,

Actually, not much.
When $process has a file open and that file gets deleted or replaced,
$process can hapily continue using the old data. Until it reopens the file
(data or application code), it'll keep using the old version.

2) there's
> often config file changes that occur; again, I don't want to try to
> update or resolve those while an application is running.

Same as #1: config files are usually read when starting and ignored while
running.

That said, it's still a good idea to restart the running services (or the
whole server when the kernel is updated), but in principle you can just
continue working while updating and reboot sometime later.

Mvg, Guus Snijders