[arch-general] Mouse freezes

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 19 09:28:41 UTC 2020

Hi,

a wireless USB dongle mouse, as well as a wired USB mouse could suffer
from USB energy saving.

Once a power saving mechanism considers that USB is idle, a remote
wakeup is required.

Either an idle-delay time setting might have changed or some software
without a power saving mechanism now has got such a thingy.

It doesn't sound like a battery issue of the used mouse, more likely
some idle detecting thingy changed or was added.

I experienced the same issue many years ago and got rid of it by
removing some laptop related package from my non-laptop desktop Linux
PC.

IIRC it was a desktop environment update on an Ubuntu install that
caused the issue. Nowadays I don't use desktop environments anymore,
neither for my Ubuntu nor for my Arch Linux install, I'm just using a
window manager.

However, the culprit not necessarily is some desktop environment laptop
feature maybe e.g. a driver changed.

Regards,
Ralf