[arch-general] Pulseaudio disabling auto-mute mode

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Mar 18 14:34:58 UTC 2020

I'm not sure how/why (or when it started) but pulseaudio is disabling
auto-mute mode on my laptop.  Normally when you plug in headphones,
speakers get muted.  However, every time PA starts up, it disables that
auto-mute feature.  (I then have to go into alsamixer and manually
re-enable it.)  Not a huge issue, but definitely a nuisance.

It's definitely PA that's responsible:  if I enable auto-mute, then do
"pulseaudio --kill", the setting immediately gets disabled.  I've
followed the instructions at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#Auto-Mute_Mode
and
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Disabling_auto_mute_on_startup
- i.e., change the setting to enabled, and then alsactl store.  However,
that's obviously having no impact, since pulseaudio later *overrides*
the alsa setting when it starts up.

Anyone else having similar issue?  Or have any idea what the issue is /
how to fix?  (Or link to an open bug report?)

Thanks,

DR