[arch-general] How to enable Archlinux users to easily avoid Polkit?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun May 30 18:35:31 UTC 2021

On 5/30/21 8:32 AM, Neven Sajko wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 02:51, Eli Schwartz via arch-general
> <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>> /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so directly
>> links to libcolord and will fail to load if it is unavailable. But
>> perhaps you used a different printbackend...
>
> I don't have LPRNG, so CUPS must have been used AFAIK. Also note that
> I deleted just the polkit package from my system, NOT the colord
> package.
>
>> - libcolord to satisfy programs linking to colord
>> - colord to run the daemon which libcolord tries to send messages to
>
> I hope the colord package gets split, then!
>
>> idk how that would work, since /usr/bin/colord has a shared library link
>> to libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0
>
> I thought maybe dlopen could be used instead.

I somehow doubt this would help given that the colord daemon actually
attempts to use it for all functionality, seemingly.

Package splitting would work much better... given the fairly high cost
of the js78 package.

I'm not sure why gtk3 depends on it at all, though. In
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/50513 the print backends got split out
into the package gtk3-print-backends, until 3.22.26+47+g3a1a7135a2-1
when that got merged back into the main package without a commit message.

>>> BTW, does somebody know what happened to the packages for building
>>> GTK3 without Colord, building Colord without Polkit, and similar? I
>>> think those were available on AUR previosuly.
>>
>> I didn't stumble across any relevant deletion requests. What were the
>> exact package names?
>
> I just checked the history of the GTK wiki page, and back in September
> 2017 these relevant packages were on AUR, none of which seem to exist
> now:
> gtk3-light
> gtk3-nobroadway-nowayland-nocolord
> gtk3-print-backends-nocolord
> colord-nopolkit

None of them have been maintained in the last 4 years, so they were most
likely deleted due to not working.

alternatively they got deleted due to the aforementioned
gtk3-print-backends split package being implemented?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User