[arch-general] Fwd: A plea for communication from Arch devs & maintainers

Sam Mulvey archlinux at sammulvey.com
Wed Nov 3 22:10:10 UTC 2021

On 11/3/21 12:27, Archange wrote:
> Thanks Jonas, you wrote the mail I wanted to sent. :)

Yet you said it again.

It took two people with an official email address to tell me how wrong I
am.  This is such a perfect example of the problem that it kind of
hurts.   There's a word I've been trying to avoid using, because it's
pretty semantically weighted: gatekeeping.

Let me cut out the bits here that communicate it, in order:

> I’d like to emphasize that contributions are welcome
You want my help.

> as long as they are not trivial changes that don’t bring value.
But only if it meets a vague standard set by individual maintainers.

> this is also a way to get yourself known by dev/TUs
But I also have to *know the right people*.  Yikes.

That said, not all gatekeeping is horrible.   Arch says right on the tin
that it has technical knowledge requirements to play ball.   I get
that.  I also run a volunteer organization with technical requirements
to fully participate.  But what that meant to us is that we had to spend
a lot of thought avoiding using that gate as a way to support other,
less worthwhile gates[1].

It doesn't feel like Arch is spending time on that, so:

> All that being said, we certainly do lack human resources

Sometimes I really feel like I should give back, but it looks like a
damn long walk and I have other things I could do.   So I'm glad for
(and grateful to) the people who find that walk a lot less onerous than
I.  I sometimes worry how many other people like me are out there.   If
it becomes too many, the distribution kind of stops being a
distribution.   So here I am, managing three packages in AUR and
blathering about gatekeeping and social domain problems of a Linux
distribution.

> *: Although quite an extreme example by the amount of changes versus
> the amount of the maintainer available free time (me), it took me
> roughly a year to have enough of it to look deeply into vtk9 changes,
> package the dependencies, solve multiple issues (including several PR
> in different upstream projects). While a vtk9 package was available in
> the AUR, it did not provide most of the features, and certainly did
> not take into account several of the issues we had while rebuilding
> dependent packages. I was asked several times by people why I did not
> bump yet, I explained the issue and how people could help, but then it
> seems people realized this was difficult because I did not get further
> answers.

I'm really not unsympathetic to this.  GNOME is wacky, audacity is
broken, blender was stonking huge the last time I had to care about it,
and packaging python stuff is space magic to me since I don't use it,
but exactly: extreme example.  For every "my partner needs OBS to do
horrible thing X" there were a an order of magnitude more packages that
were done by incrementing a number in vim and then generating new checksums.

Feeling a bit preachy[2] so I'm going to bow out here.   I'll say it
again: you all do good work, and it is appreciated.   If you'd like to
talk to me further, I'm pretty easy to find.

-Sam

[1]: I'd love to tell you what we're working on, but we're a project
that is perforce local so we can do things that an international project
like Arch would find difficult.

[2]: Which is kind of ironic, really.