[arch-projects] Proposal for additional gcc packages

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 24 20:58:49 EDT 2004

> I think this is one of those situations where the idea of adding
> split-off functionality to makepkg (akin to what Debian and many other
> distros do) would come in quite handy.  That way you could have one
> PKGBUILD which built all of the gcc languages, and then split it off
> into gcc, gcc-f77, gcj, etc.  AFAIK someone actually made a patch to
> makepkg a while back that added this functionality; it's a pretty
> trivial change.

It's not a trivial change; he only completed the easy part of the equation
and not perfectly either.

Makepkg -b wouldn't work, because it reads the PKGBUILD to find the package
name to build deps.  Gensync wouldn't work because it assumes you have one
package per PKGBUILD.  In that way, updatesync wouldn't work either.  All
the main archlinux.org scripts would have to be reworked to support
multiple packages from a single PKGBUILD.

As I said, it's a lot of work to do it when you only gain one or two extra
packages.  I'm trying to solve those one or two cases instead of
redesigning everything to work around the paradigm shift.

Jason

--
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand,
things are just as they are.

My old gpg key expired, the new one is available from keyservers.  I was
stupid enough not to realize this before it was too late, so I am not
able to sign my new key with my old key.  If this assurance isn't enough,
please contact me.