[arch-projects] Mounting nodev fs with "none" as source.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Dec 26 15:21:49 EST 2011

Hello

I recently discovered an issue when _not_ using "none" as source of
nodev filesystems. For example in our default fstab for /tmp as source
is used "tmp". If you run "mount -a" under a directory with a "tmp"
directory, /tmp will be mounted again as tmpfs with "fake source" as
$PWD/tmp:

# mount | grep /tmp
tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
# pwd
/root
# mkdir tmp
# mount -a
# mount | grep /tmp
tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
/root/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

But if using special keyword "none" as source this does not happen.

# mount | grep /tmp
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
# pwd
/root
# mkdir none
# mount -a
# mount | grep /tmp
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

In the past (when /etc/mtab was not linked to /proc/self/mounts) weird
behaviours appears when using "none" as source, but now seems that works
fine.
Other ways to workaround this is using the same path as source. I think
we can also change source to "none" of /dev /run /proc /dev/shm and
/dev/pts, looks like more correct. (or using the same path as source).

I tested using none in all nodev fs and shutdown is clean without
errors. what do you think?

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
\cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1