[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] managing /tmp

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed May 18 13:10:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> Looking at the patch that triggered this, I'm confused as to why the
> logic was added to rc.sysinit to begin with. Why conditionally check for
> /tmp being mounted?  What's the harm in unconditionally calling rm -rf
> /tmp/*? Has it bitten us in the past? The commit message doesn't even
> cover this change.

The original change was completely stupid and will be reverted for the
next release (unless we skip the /tmp cleaning altogether). I had been
reading bug reports about being able to trick "rm /tmp/*" to delete
things outside of /tmp, but I am not able to reproduce it, so I guess
the bug reports were bogus. I hadn't intended for this change to be
pushed out (that's why it was not in the commit msg), but must have
been a bit too eager with the "git add -p"...

-t