[arch-projects] [initscripts][RFC] managing /tmp

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri May 20 04:09:40 EDT 2011

Am 19.05.2011 23:16, schrieb Dan McGee:
> [...] I will add that expecting everyone to have /tmp as a tmpfs is
> extremely limiting. I also disagree with your unbacked-with-facts
> conclusion that "99.99%" of people are satisfied with a /tmp on tmpfs;
> of my 5 machines running Arch only 2 have /tmp on tmpfs. I can think
> of several situations where this is just plain impractical:
> * Running on a VPS/VM with limited RAM
> * Any situation that requires /tmp to be bigger than the size of RAM
> (or even bigger than half of it)
> * Any setup where I have a highly performant RAID setup (or maybe SSDs
> are involved); being on disk will be just fine

In my opinion, /tmp as tmpfs is still a valid default for our fstab. The
most common use case for Arch is a server, desktop or laptop with
sufficient memory, where this is a good idea.

In all other cases, a user has 2 choices:
1) Add sufficient swap space, then add size=10G to the tmpfs size.
2) Remove the tmpfs line from fstab.

I don't feel strongly about this though.