[arch-projects] [HEADSUP] udevd moved out of PATH

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 11 16:40:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Upstream says: we should be installing a symlink [1], which
> potentially means we don't have to make changes elsewhere or tightly
> couple versions of our packages.

Rereading the NEWS file I see that it does indeed suggest adding the
symlink as an alternative to updating initscripts+mkinitcpio.

> On a related note from the same, for restarting, the `udevadm control
> --exit && udevd --daemon` process should work for restarting for us
> old farts not using systemd and not restarting our boxes once a week.
> I believe you could also run `udevadm trigger` if you were worried you
> missed any events.

It should be pointed out that Kay also confirmed that restarting in
this way would potentially lose events.

I'm really not happy about adding a kludge whose only use-case is to
do something that is kind of broken in the first place. That said, I
guess we could do it to please the conservatives. At least in a
transitional period, so we don't have to release all the packages at
the same time (which I understood was one of the main objections).

I'll mark it as deprecated though, and promise to remove it in the not
too distant future.

-t