[arch-projects] netcfg moving forward

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:50:46 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 04:04, Seblu <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Today netcfg 2.8.0 was made available in testing. This release comes
>> with improved systemd support.
>> Can we push 2.7.3 to the stable repositories?
>>
>> Since much has changed, a news item might be in place.
>
> Current version of netcfg in core is 2.6.8.
> Current version of netcfg in testing is 2.8.0

Apparently, we need to fix the release process of netcfg. At the
moment I hardly have any time to spare, so this might be a problem.

> Before broke compatibility with boot network configuration you should
> (must?) deprecate the old way of configuring netcfg.

It all felt so obvious to me that I forgot that /etc/conf.d/netcfg was
still 'new' ;-).
By the bump of the version number you can however see that I did
intend to break a few things, but of course not things that were not
phased out in one way or another.

One remaining thing I would like to remove one day is support for
connections that have no interface. It feels to me that netcfg might
not be the right place for such profiles. It would also be nice to
move the html documentation to the web. It would reduce the installed
size by 25% and increase the chance of anyone reading those documents
by at least as much.

Sorry for the breakage!
- Jouke