[arch-projects] initscripts: about MODULES() behaviour and blacklist

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 20 07:21:56 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tom Gundersen: "If you want to have a temporary workaround I guess it would be possible
> to blacklist your wireless module in /etc/modprobe.d and add it to
> MODULES in rc.conf." [#1].
>
> But in functions::udev_modprobe() there is a modprobe -ab, and -b implies does not load a blacklisted module. Since MODULES() is supposed (at least for me) to be "always load all listed modules", should be -b removed from modprobe line?

Damn, you caught me contradict myself. I think you might have caused a
rupture in the space-time continuum... My comment was wrong, this is
how it used to work, but I forgot that we have changed it.

I believe the current behavior is the correct one, if a module is
blacklisted we should not automatically insert it (not from udev, nor
from MODULES). This is particularly useful if the module is causing
problems and is blacklisted on the kernel command line.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I'll correct myself on the bug report.

Cheers,

Tom