[arch-releng] dialog --tailboxbg weirdness

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Apr 4 10:23:38 EDT 2009

Hi all,
while trying to figure out http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13835 I
noticed something weird.

When I run something like "dialog --no-kill
--tailboxbg /var/log/dmesg.log 0 0" on my pc (or in a VM) in a shell, 2
dialog processes start (this should be normal. it forks itself in the
background), and I get my shell prompt back.  when new things are
written to the log file, they show up, but since i'm back at the prompt
this looks ugly.  There is no nice ncurses interface in the foreground
that follows the logfile, unlike when you run /arch/setup and install
packages.
working code: (/arch/setup)
( http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=installer.git;a=blob_plain;f=setup;hb=HEAD )
    # display pacman output while it's running
    DIALOG --title " Installing... Please Wait " \
        --no-kill --tailboxbg "/tmp/pacman.log" 18 70 2>$ANSWER

I even tried imitating it completely:
DIALOG() { dialog --backtitle "$TITLE" --aspect 15 "$@"; }
DIALOG --title " Installing... Please Wait " --no-kill
--tailboxbg /var/log/dmesg.log 0 0

The problem remains.

Any ideas?

Dieter