[arch-releng] releases, snapshots and semantics

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 10:40:07 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 17:16, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:22:02 +0200
> Gerhard Brauer <gerbra at archlinux.de> wrote:

>> >  of simple, but clear ways to phrase this and I think it's best to make
>> >  the images a separate project with a special name. > for example we
>> >  could call this project "ALIMG" or something (Arch Linux images) and
>> >  then talk (news items) about new ALIMG releases.  ALIMG 2009.08 etc.

This is bad idea IMO.

>> I would leave all as it is... YYYY.MM snapshots
>>
>> a) we don't make images for the press
>> b) the few user who will get confused will get a answer on bbs etc. They
>> don't will ask this again.
>>
>> Realy, i don't see the need that we make us a problem with this...

Agree.

> Actually, the more I think about it, the more it just makes sense.
> The images we create are not "Arch Linux".  They are a project on itself, based on arch linux.
> Even if you don't consider the semantic/press discussion, it is weird to me to have a very specific project, but no name for it.
>
> And yes, I do consider the press.
> I think if we can improve (as in: make it more acurate) the picture they draw of us towards (new) people, we should.
> I think media plays a big role.  See how many places talk about the "arch linux 2009.08 release"
> http://www.google.be/search?q=arch+linux+2009.08+release

I think something similar was when Gentoo used to make regular install
CD ISO releases.
Most people got used to scheduled releases and not rolling releases,
that's why they confuse liveCDs of rolling-release distros with
releases of other distros.

IMO it is enough to just put a text like:
"Note that this is just a new release of LiveCD/USB images,
not a release of Arch Linux, because there are no 'releases' in Arch Linux".
If reviewers cannot read - their problem.
People who read their review will point it to them in comments.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)