[arch-releng] Make archiso PXE & NBD friendly (server and client mode)

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Mar 14 10:39:20 CET 2010

Hello

I recently done some changes for archiso, to make it booteable via PXE
(Preboot eXecution Environment) and using NBD (Network Block Device).
Also a minimal server script can be launched to act as server ;)

If booted from network, there is a [nbd] hook, (based on [net]), that
configures an IP address, then setup a /dev/nbd0 (via nbd-client). (and
/dev/archiso will point to this device), all the rest is done by current
archiso hook :) (copytoram option can be used)
If booted normally, [nbd] hook does nothing. Inside the /root, there is
a simple script that launches dnsmasq enabling tftp and dhcp server,
finally start the nbd-server that serve the iso file via network.

Tested on real machine, kvm and Virtualbox, works very nice.

Relevant commit (adding nbd hook to pxe_nbd branch ) [#1] and sample
usage (diff based on my avr-toolchain branch) [#2] All step to make iso
are here [#3]

NOTE: nbd [#4] package from AUR is needed, so additional steps should be
done than normal process. :(

Just for fun, all comments welcomed.

Good luck!

[#1]