[arch-releng] Help with hybrid ISOs and making extra partitions

Jim Pryor lists+arch-releng at jimpryor.net
Mon Mar 22 16:35:18 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:26:50AM -0400, Jim Pryor wrote:

> If I understand what I've read, earlier we were using the "offset=1"
> argument to isohybrid, together with labeling all the partitions on the
> USB key (would any label do?), and the archiso_early hook.
>
> But now it's been decided it's better to use the default "offset=0",
> meaning the archiso_early hook is no longer needed, and it's no longer
> possible to label partitions on the USB key, because there's no real
> partition table.

Actually, I don't know if that even makes sense, because I don't know
what "labeling a partition" might amount to. Checking my sources again,
I see I need to add FILESYSTEM labels (I know what those are) to any
additional partitions, in the current, offset=0, setup.

Is it just irrelevant whether one adds them in the offset=1 setup?

What about labeling the filesystem in the first/fake/dd'd partition? are we suppose
to just leave that alone? Can we rely on the mkarchiso and archiso2dual
scripts to set that up properly, whether we do or don't go on to create
extra partitions on the device after dd'ing the ISO to it?

--
Jim Pryor
profjim at jimpryor.net