[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Dec 24 06:24:56 EST 2011

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 04:52:16 -0600
C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Dieter Plaetinck
> <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> >
> > was this supposed to be an answer to my question?
> > it's really not clear what your point is.
>
> you asked if <insert list of three examples> could be done, i stated i
> used one of them *right now* ... i was indirectly implying it could be
> done and offering it forth as a partial answer.  of course, i meant
> grub could be independently/safely installed to each raw device
> _backing_ a softraid ...

I want to know if you can install grub to _one_ blockdevice backing
a device mapper device (softraid/lvm).  You installed grub2 to both.

> unless we are talking about UEFI booting here, in
> which case the (required?) GPT layout sorta guarantees a place for
> bootloaders?

at this point no, but GPT/UEFI support will need to be added at some point.

to explain where my question is coming from:

find_usable_blockdevices() currently always excludes:
(1) disks which are partitioned (but their partitions are returned)
(2) blockdevices which are part of softraid/lvm devices

To give users more possibilities to install grub I'm adding an argument to this function to optionally also return devices in (1),
but while I'm at it, I started wondering about (2).  I know some people install grub in some weird places,
so if this is technically possible and "okay" I might just as well allow this too.

Dieter