[arch-releng] from now on: automatic testbuilds + heads-up on changes

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 3 10:39:21 EST 2011

Am 03.01.2011 16:31, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> Known issues:
> - some kind of kernel/vbox bug wrt virtual memory:
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2011-January/017713.html

Vbox always did weird and unexplainable things that I could never work
around, other than upgrading either Linux or Vbox.. You will probably
notice that KVM works fine.

> - btrfs-progs, nilfs-utils and dosfstools packages cannot be installed
>   to the target system (although you should be able to use those FS'es
>   fine)

That reminds me, I was going to reply to the whole core-repo definition
discussion. Anyway, those need to go to core if you want to install them
upon installation.

I am confused about dosfstools, there is no fsck tool that does anything
useful, so installing them is not really a requirement.

> 2) automatic builds: from now on, there will be automatic builds
> available @ http://releng.archlinux.org/isos/
> i'm still playing around with the parameters, probably the builds will
> be daily or weekly.

In the long run, I'd say weekly.

> - some kind of web app /wiki page where users can mark things in the
>   checklist as "working with testbuild $version" ?  that would give a
>   good indication of when we can promote testbuilds to official releases

Official releases? I thought we'd be rolling (=snapshotting) releases
from now on.

> - some way to give these more visibility (post to al.org frontpage?
>   can we mirror first?..?)

Following what I said above, revamp the download page to point to
releng.al.org for ISO downloads.