[arch-releng] ArchWiki: merge Official and Beginners' Guides? (or change titles)

Desmond Cox desmondgc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:24:14 EDT 2011

In my opinion, there is no reason to keep the official guide on the
wiki: wiki formatting and templates are not utilized, we do not
benefit from the wiki's version control system, and effort is wasted
syncing the wiki with the version in git. Rather, users are confused
and suggest corrections/improvements on the wiki when they should use
this mailing list or the bug tracker.

The easiest change to make towards a better solution, in my opinion,
is to remove the official guide from the wiki and simply link to the
version in AIF git on the Main Page (and www.archlinux.org home page)
and from within the Beginners' Guide itself. Furthermore, the
Beginners' Guide should be renamed because it is misleading; perhaps
Gentoo users would understand the official guide, but even seasoned
Ubuntu veterans would probably learn something from the Beginners'
Guide (please excuse my stereotyping!) "Unofficial Installation Guide"
or "Detailed Installation Guide" or "Installation Walkthrough" would
be more appropriate.

Merging guides, and/or the rationale for maintaining two installation
guides can be discussed in-detail later. (It is unlikely a consensus
will be reached, though... evidenced by the existence of several other
installation guides
(<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Quick_Arch_Linux_Install>;
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Software_RAID_or_LVM>;
and other pages under
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Getting_and_installing_Arch_(English)>).
Can we constrain this discussion to the renaming of the Beginners'
Guide for now?

-- Des