[arch-releng] Call for test: archiso with dm-snapshot

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Jun 18 04:27:04 EDT 2011

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 03:03:01 -0300
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> On 06/14/2011 01:51 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > I want to know opinions about my recent work to archiso, since there
> > are lots of changes. If someone can do some tests, they are very
> > welcomed. Sugestions are very appreciated. Thanks :)
> >

> Basic documentation, done
> Comments in code, done.
> Testing all builds, done.
> Booting all builds, done.
>
> Untested: archiso_pxe_nbd, and archiso_loop_mnt.
>

> If there are no objections, I will merge dm-snapshot branch in official
> master branch in about 12 hours.
>

> commit msg is:
>
> [archiso] Use dm-snapshot instead of aufs2 (A.K.A. "The Big Commit")
>
> * Use device mapper + snapshot module, instead union layer filesystem.
>    * A block-level approach vs vfs-level.
>    * No more unofficial (Linux) things.
>    * More memory is needed.
> * Refactor mkarchiso.
> * Refactor hooks/archiso.
> * New configs/releng to build official images.
> * Removed configs/syslinux-iso.
> * Removed archiso2dual script. Now functionallity integrated in configs/releng.
> * New configs/baseline to build the most basic live medium or use as template.
> * New README file.

try to keep the commit message current tense.
i.e:
s/Removed/Remove/
s/Now functionality integrated/Integrate functionality/

Maybe add something like:
* Replace limited Makefile with new build.sh script

And btw, I'm not sure 'releng' is a good name for the default configs, 'releng' is the name of the team doing the work and releasing images, but doesn't really describe the images which will be generated.  I think something like 'installation-images' or 'official-images' or 'official-installation-images' or something would be better (the last one has my preference)

Dieter