[arch-releng] [arch-general] Default Bootloader for AIF

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Mar 27 05:31:50 EDT 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:17:02 +0530
"KESHAV P.R." <skodabenz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>          I wanted to share my views on this whole discussion. Many
> people don't know the actual features and problems with individual
> boot-loaders.
>
> GRUB-Legacy
>
> - Kinda KISS (actually syslinux is more KISS)
> - Easy to setup and configure
> - Simple config file - text file based
> - Multi-partition support (can load kernels from diff partitions -
> multi-linux systems)
> - Supported by AIF and Archboot
>
> X Does not support newer filesystems like BTRFS, NILFS2 etc.
> X No GPT and non-MBR partition tables support
> X No LVM, RAID etc.. (I may be wrong here)
> X No jpeg, png images support (not that it matters for arch users -
> mainly for users wanting eye-candy stuff)
> X No partition search support, needs hardcoding partition number in grub.conf
> X Supports only BIOS and MBR systems
> X Upstream deprecated
> X Difficult to maintain patches
> X The only fork of grub-legacy (Fedora's -
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/grub-fedora/grub-fedora.git) (Arch does
> not use this) is also planning to stop development -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2#Benefit_to_Fedora
>

> GRUB2 (will be grub according to upstream once released as stable)
>
> - Modules support
> - Virtually all open source filesystems and few proprietary ones like ntfs, hfs
> - All-in-one bootloader
> - Setting up is actually easy - just lack of docs for that
> - All eye-candy stuff
> - Almost all partitioning systems - you can even use Archlinux in
> Amiga partitioning or Apple Partition Map with grub2
> - loopback support for booting isos
> - Maintained by upstream
> - LVM, RAID and other stuff supported
> - Supports partition searching at runtime (using search command)
> - UUID support (with search)
> - Multiple firmwares support (independent of partitioning scheme) like
> Coreboot, UEFI etc.
> - Scripting support in grub.cfg with env variables etc. , useful for
> some users (for me atleast).
> - Configuration can be edited directly (its a common misconception
> regarding uneditable grub.cfg)
> - Rescue mode
> - Can manually load grub-legacy config file and supports converting
> from grub.conf (or menu.lst) to grub.cfg format - grub-menulst2cfg in
> grub2-common package
>
> BTRFS support in the works. Its actually completed but there are few
> issues with copyright (with Oracle) and licensing issues (BTRFS is
> GPL2 , GRUB2 is GPL3, both are not GPL2+) so its not there in release
> versions and bzr trunk right now.
>
> X Not KISS
> X Takes more steps (!=complex) to setup
> X Configuration may be difficult to understand (its basically a shell
> script like language rather than simple text based)
> X Requires dedicated space for embedding core.img (first 32KB in case
> of MBR or BIOS Boot partition in case of GPT)
> [...]

Hi Keshav, thanks for this overview.

My notes:
- grub-legacy is tricky to setup (from an aif POV, not from a user POV)
- I accept patches for grub2 if they are reasonably sane/elegant

From your overview, as well as Pierres first thread (and the responses to that), it seems all 3 bootloaders have something about them that makes them more suited for specific use cases, and less so for other cases. So none is clearly superior or inferior then the others, it all depends on the circumstances.

So, for the AIF perspective, I would say "which should be the default?" is an irrelevant question, the important thing is, we support two (and later maybe 3) and the user can choose.

So, maybe this is a question that should be answered by the package maintainers: because the order in which we list bootloader selection (i.e. which is at the top, the "default") will probably steer -to some extent- package usage and bug reports; which bootloader do you feel most comfortable with maintaining?
The answer is very likely syslinux. Allan, Thomas, other maintainers/developers?

Dieter