[aur-dev] Handling deletion through the web interface.

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Sat Sep 11 11:20:18 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

As I said in my TU application, I want to get involved in trying to grease the
wheels of the AUR a little. So, I'm proposing as a first step that we allow
(prefer? require?) deletion requests to be handled through the web interface.

The main aim of this is to try to standardise the process and information
available in the messages (and therefore archived on aur-general) concerning
AUR deletion requests. For example, messages like this are now somewhat
meaningless (no offence to the author or anyone else intended):

Subject: [aur-general] Delete and orphan request

Hi, can somebody delete the following packages:

1) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38923 - my mistake, error in
package name, replacement here

2) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17379 and
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=36306 - they duplicate this package

3) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=28544 - this is version from
previous developer of Onscripter-en

4) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=8242 - already included in
community

etc. etc.

The basic idea is this:

1) Any user can click a button to propose a package for deletion. This flags
that package as having been proposed, and triggers an email to aur-general and
the package maintainer, containing the name of the package and a link to it.

2) TUs and others can discuss the deletion request on aur-general as before.

3) When a decision is made, a TU can then either delete the package, or else
cancel the deletion proposal, also on the web interface.

Once a package is proposed for deletion, no-one else can also propose it
(until / unless the request is cancelled by a TU), so aur-general doesn't get
more than one email.

I'll forward the patches to this list for review.

This is just the first bit of this implementation (it's pretty basic). Still
to do (IMO) is:

- Include a form for the proposer of the deletion to write a few words about
why it should be deleted.

- Place information about a package's current "proposed for deletion" status
in prominent places on the web interface.

- Also email everyone who has asked to be notified about the package.

Cheers,

Pete.

PS. Note that it also requires a small database schema change.