[aur-general] makepkg and unzip

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:02:10 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am not sure if it's widely known that makepkg 3.1 now uses bsdtar
for extracting .zip sources.
I see many PKGBUILDs still have makedepends=(unzip) while unzip is in
fact never used.

It was often discussed before whether that makedepends line was
required or not.
eg : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=5280
Now the situation is clearer, since unzip is no longer used by makepkg.
So the makedepends line can be safely removed.

There might be some special zip files that are not handled (correctly)
by bsdtar. In that case, it's probably a good idea to contact both
bsdtar maintainer and the creators of the zip archive about the
problem.
To work around it, you can use noextract and call unzip manually like
in that example :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9792?getfile=2016
(in that pkgbuild, unzip is put in makedepends, and I think it's correct)

If the above makes sense, and is not yet mentioned in the wiki, and
someone finds a relevant place to add it, then go for it :)