[aur-general] AUR RPC search results custom fields

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 02:50:02 EDT 2008

Francesc Ortiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just subscribed to the AUR mailing list. I developed tupac, a script
> that does fast aur searches. I got really glad when i found that there
> is an RPC for AUR, but all my happiness vanished when i saw that the
> search results show no information, and that i have to add another
> query for each result if i want to show aditional information to the
> search results. From my house, this adds a 550 ms query to each
> result. I gave a try to arson to proove it.
>
> Adding the possibility of specifying the fields you want to show in
> the search results would reduce rpc query time and would also reduce
> server load. Getting custom fields would be 1 connection vs N+1
> (N=number results, 1 the search) connections that you have to do now
> for a pacman-like search. And in what time regards, as an example, for
> 30 results now I need (30+1)*550ms = around 17 seconds.
>
> I also see that this would be more intense work for the database, so
> it would be reasonable to add a result limit to the search, if you use
> custom fields, in order to reduce subqueries.
>
> And, about usability, imagine that
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php took 13 seconds to load.
>
> What do you think, did I sound convincing enough? :P

Welcome.  You probably want to try the aur-dev mailing list for this as
that is where the people who develop the AUR hang out.  Your idea sounds
reasonable but I have no idea if it is implementable.  Of course, if you
know how those sort of things work, you can alway help out improving the
AUR!

Cheers,
Allan