[aur-general] Packages in Community and votes.

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 18:05:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) The server is being strained (what parts exactly?) by the community repo.

It's primarily disk space and IO load issues.

The community repo and AUR are fairly large. A cron job which WAS
keeping the AUR's permissions in check was actually pegging our system
with so much load that we had to remove any handling of the AUR files
(hope the code is good enough for that).

The AUR backend daemon opens every single package file (wtf?) when it
runs, which is a HUGE resource hog. In an ideal world, someone would
rewrite this to work the same way the offical repos work - with
repo-add and a separate decoupled script to load the mysql database
from a pacman DB.

Sizes on disk:
   community: 11G
   extra: 11G