[aur-general] license convention for public domain packages

Paulo Matias matias at archlinux-br.org
Wed Jul 8 14:59:42 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Daenyth Blank<daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 13:02, Hugo Doria<hugodoria at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am with Allan here.
>> +1 for 'custom'.
> +2

I'd not agree here. Isn't public domain exactly the absence of a
license? When something is public domain you have no obligations at
all. Even citing the author's name isn't required. You can do what you
want with a public domain work.

So I can't see why should we require to ship a different public domain
declaration for each public domain package. I think something like
'none' or 'PD' without the obligation to install anything to
/usr/share/licenses would be the best way to go here.

Best regards,

Paulo Matias