[aur-general] Huge packages in community

Daenyth Blank daenyth+arch at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:12:31 EDT 2009

2009/5/2 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>:
> Hi,
>
> I've syncing my home repo today (like I've been doing since months
> ago) and I got irritated downloading 595 mb of nexuiz, come on, this
> package can be popular or whatever, but IMHO having a 595mb package on
> the repos will be painful.
>
> I propose for a motion to remove packages like games > 250 mb, I am
> not a TU anymore and I know that, but the waste of bandwith
> downloading games is *really* killer... A solution could be:

You're welcome to host whatever packages you like, or not, but I don't
foresee the main repos changing.
> a) Creating an official repo called [games] or something like, where
> TUs and Devs can put games there (huge games principally.
Stythys and myself run the arch-games repo, but this is not intended
to replace the main arch repos, only to supplement them. How does this
solve the issue of disk space and bandwidth if you're just moving it
from one repo to another? It's still there.

> b) Definetively not upload games to the repos
What makes games less qualified to be binary packages? Should we also
not package software like OOo because it takes up a lot of disk space?

> I am the administrator of two official mirrors, and watching this
> situation I am really worried if packages > 250 mb (games) will be
> downloaded / updated eventually and I will have to waste GBs on this.
As I said, you're welcome to do whatever you want with your own mirrors.

> Please don't take this personal, but IIRC "Gerolde" was suffering for
> the lack of space months ago, and even if this package and those huge
> popular games > 250 mb doesn't merely to be on the official repos,
> frankly (but thanks for the effort to waste the disk space Xyne!).
There is absolutely no need for personal attacks here, and you should
really be ashamed. Additionally, who are you to decide that some
packages are not needed?