[aur-general] Trusted User Application

Jonathan Conder j at skurvy.no-ip.org
Mon Aug 16 22:44:58 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I would like to apply to become a Trusted User. Ionuț/wonder has kindly
agreed to sponsor me. Anyway, here is some info about me:

Who am I?
My name is Jonathan Conder, from Auckland, New Zealand. I'm currently a
full-time student studying Maths and Computer Science (among other
things). I've been using Linux since early 2008, after a bit of
distro-hopping I moved to Arch, and was very impressed by the wiki and
the degree of control I gained over my system. My forum username is
PirateJonno, maybe some of you have seen me around.

Why do I want to be a TU?
Well, Arch has been my distribution of choice for several years now, and
I would like to give something back to the community. I hope that this
position will enable me to move some popular AUR packages to community.

What packages am I interested in?
Firstly, I would like to adopt MythTV (and related packages) since they
seem to have no current maintainer. This would involve moving them out
of extra and into community of course. If the need arises, I would also
be willing to maintain anything I have installed, which boils down to a
lot of GNOME desktop applications, a few games, and various multimedia
programs or libraries.

Other packages I would be interested in bringing to community are:
fbsplash (along with a few themes)
gnome-colors-icon-theme
mediatomb (possibly with a few patches)
nspluginwrapper-flash (if this presents no ideological issues)

Also, I have a few projects of my own that could be added in future,
namely PackageKit and nautilus-makepkg. See my AUR/GitHub pages at:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=PirateJonno
http://github.com/PirateJonno

Can I do the job?
I think I have enough experience packaging for Arch to become a TU.
Although I don't maintain many AUR packages, I would do if the need
arose. I often modify others' packages to change the configure flags,
add a custom patch, enable debugging symbols, etc. My work on PackageKit
has made me very familiar with the packaging system itself. I am also a
reasonably experienced C/C++ programmer, which means I am usually pretty
good at tracking down bugs. My ability to find bugs in unfamiliar code
is also improving. For example, here are some I have reported/fixed:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?email1=j%
40skurvy.no-ip.org&emailtype1=exact&emailreporter1=1
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?email1=j%
40skurvy.no-ip.org&emailtype1=exact&emailreporter1=1
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?status[]&opened=PirateJonno

Thanks for your time,
Jonathan