[aur-general] TU application / Searching a sponsor

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 12:34:21 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Adam Hani Schakaki <arch at krzd.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am Adam Hani Schakaki from south-west Germany and I think that this would be the right time to apply or rather to find a sponsor.
> I hope that there is no age restriction for becoming a TU because I am only 16 years old.

To start off. I think that it's great that your so young and this
involved in the community.

> Anyway, I got my first Mandriva Linux CD 7 years ago, after that I was using several distributions like Fedora, openSuSE, Ubuntu, Debian. I also tried Gentoo, but most of the time I used Ubuntu for desktops and Debian for servers. But around the beginning of this year I found the great ArchLinux and I loved it.
> I was/am programming a lot homepage related things in PHP and I also got pretty good programming skills in Java and surely bash. Currently, beside school, I am involved in a project ordered by a school for pupils and companies that every pupil can easily find a job training and the teachers can supervise it. It looks like I will finish school in two years and after that I want to study Software Engineering in London.
> I am maintaining 103 packages in the AUR, most of them are go-openoffice language packs. But those language packs are all outdated because at the moment I am providing binary version in my repository unless anyone requests a source version for the AUR.

The 90+ language packs could be a good candidate for a split PKGBUILD,
possibly reducing a lot of maintenance. But AUR doesn't support split
packages yet, afaik. You can probably base the split PKGBUILD off of
openoffice's split PKGBUILD. Another note about those lang-packs,
couldn't you just use the file which contains all the translations for
all the components instead of just downloading each individual one?
This would probably make it simpler to maintain.

Also, if someone marks it outdated in the AUR, I would assume that
they want an updated PKGBUILD which you haven't provided. Contrary to
what you said.

Another thing that annoyed me is that you probably removed the
#contributor tags from the previous contributors and only included
yourself in j and gnome-scan (all the packages not submitted this
year). I could be wrong though.

> One of my goals would be to bring those language pack to the community repo, since there are already openoffice, go-openoffice and openoffice language packs, but no go-openoffice language packs. But the primary goal will ever be to improve ArchLinux and I want to help as much as I can.
Some of the language packs
> I hope that I did not forget anything and I would be proud if I found a sponsor.
>
> Adam Hani Schakaki

I think that you need some more experience to become a TU.
If you have any other contributions please mention them.
I think you are off to a good start :)
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!