[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 07:11:14 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Roberto Alsina's message of 2010-08-23 22:08:46 +0200:
> On Monday 23 August 2010 16:56:29 Ray Rashif wrote:
> > I don't know of any software besides the kernel having a GPL2-only
> > license, but there probably are. It is perfectly valid, but I don't
> > think it warrants any kind of discussion or standard yet. Like
> > mentioned, use:
>
> I don't think I am that original, and I have one:
> http://code.google.com/p/urssus/ (it's in AUR)

As you put it yourself, any  program that says GPL2 is GPL2 only, you
need to explicitly say "or later". People who follow the fsf
recommendation closely use the text from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html that includes "or later" by
default.

For that reason I guess that there's more "GPL2 only" than
"GPL2 or later" software out there.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan