[aur-general] Licenses, GPL3 only

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 14:51:52 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Alexander Duscheleit's message of 2010-08-26 19:57:35 +0200:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:18:30 +0200
> Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>
> > Besides that, I think it's future proof.
> > One issue though is that the meaning of:
> > ('GPL2' 'GPL3')
> > isn't the same as:
> > 'GPL2 or later'
> > It only is practically the same because there's nothing beyond GPL3
> > yet.
>
> Just out of curiosity...
>
> Supposed, there is a GPL4 around at some time in the future.
> Now, if I receive some software under the terms of "GPL2 or later",
> would it be in my right, to redistribute said software under "GPL3
> only" as opposed to "GPL3 or later"?

That's a good question, and my guess is 'no', because you're restricting
the ones you give the program to. But technically you also limit the
choice by not allowing GPLv2 anymore, so I really don't know. IANAL :)

--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan