[aur-general] PKGBUILD: build() vs package() function

Nicky726 nicky726 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 16:32:41 EDT 2010

Hello,

hope I don't get this missplaced, as a quick search didn'd get me any results.

When I have a package, which does actually build nothing -- say wine_gecko (a
file only needs to be placed to a correct directory) -- I should only have
package() function in the PKGBUILD, is that a correct interpretation?

Now the makepkg is happy but the AUR complaints. I can workaround that with an
empty build() function in that case the AUR is happy but the makepkg
complains. So I just put in there a harmless echo and both are happy now.
Actually my question is not that much about the correct workarounding, as it
is about if I really get the meaning of the build() and package() functions
correctly, that is for building build(), for installing package()?

Thanx,
Nicky.

--
Don't it always seem to go