[aur-general] Augeas request

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 11:43:54 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM, jesse jaara <jesse.jaara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2010/12/9 Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>
>>

>> > You see, the build process needs to create a tiny virtual machine image,
>> > (the image is quite remarkable, a vm image for Arch in less than 50K)
>> but
>> > the process to create the image requires that all packages for the image
>> be
>> > available as binary downloads from a main Arch repo, aka core, extra and
>> > community.
>> >

>> Could you explain why it requires these pkgs to be in the repositorys?
>> Im quite sure that it isint reallya MUST
>>

>> --
>> (\_ /) copy the bunny to your profile
>> (0.o ) to help him achieve world domination.
>> (> <) come join the dark side.
>> /_|_\ (we have cookies.)
>>

> Ok, the process of building the libguestfs virtual machine image, called
> "supermin", must be executed as an unprivileged user during the libguestfs
> make process. The supermin build process is managed by a program called
> febootstrap, I had to write an additional module for febootstrap to support
> Arch - (and the upstream devs rewrote febootstrap to make it possible -
> because they are awesome).
> but since the make process needs to run as an unprivileged user febootstrap
> needs to download the required packages using pacman and then use tar to
> extract them into place.
>
> I could get around it by heavily modifying febootstrap so that I can pass a
> third party repo into it that I maintain, but the libguestfs guys really
> don't want those patches upstream and it will make a real mess of things.
>
> So what it boils down to is that the make process requires pacman, and only
> has access to the main repos, and there is only one package missing from
> said repos that is required - augeas.
>
> -Tom

Upon closer inspection, the backdoor I was going to use to enable a third
party repo has been removed from the upstream code, seems my "messy" option
is no longer an option.
I am still looking for another solution, but as of right now the inclusion
of augeas in community is still the olny option I can see.

-Tom