[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Python-3.x transition with python-2.7 update

Stephen Weinberg stephen at q5comm.com
Tue Jul 6 10:48:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:25:15 +1000
Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 06/07/10 22:54, Gergely Imreh wrote:

> >> As another user (who doesn't write Python), I'd state that
> >> 'majority usage' is a pretty poor guideline for users of a Linux
> >> distro, and a relatively small one at that.
> >>
> >> I'm all for the option which reduces workload on the packagers. Of
> >> course if things break big-time then it may be a problem, but
> >> that's what [testing] is for, and those of us using it should know
> >> what to do if/when breakage occurs.
> >>

> > Some more background info for those who are not that familiar why
> > the Python 2 vs. 3 is such a big problem (there seem to plenty of
> > people, and sorry for the ones who already know this inside out):
> > http://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3
> >
> >> From that page:
> > "Popular modules that don't yet support Python 3 include Twisted
> > (for networking and a bunch of other stuff), gevent (like Twisted
> > but different), Django and Pylons (for building websites), PyGTK and
> > PySide (for making GUIs), py2exe (for packaging your application for
> > Windows users), PIL (for processing images), numpy (for number
> > crunching)..."
> >
> > Thus I would mind a rebuild less, than losing my daily
> > numpy/scipy/PyGTK...
>
> Do you seriously think would be removing those from the repos?  That
> would be insane...
>
> numpy/scipy/pygtk/etc will all be in the repos and working.  The only
> thing you will have to do is use "#!/usr/bin/env python2.7" (or just
> python2) at the start of your script.
>
> Allan

At the moment most programs don't know to use #!/usr/bin/env python2.
Therefore many python programs that users will download will not work
without modification (although a very small modification). I do not
think it is time yet. I do not believe that there is a large enough
group of users of python3 to make it the default.

Please note that unlike everyone else who has commented, I do a lot of
python development. It would not affect me personally. I have already
figured out that my script will work more smoothly in the future if I
use "python2" over "python".

Is there a good reason to ever switch python to python3? The option of
just not switching at all has never come up. At some point we would
need to move everything over, but why not continue to call it python3?