[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] Python-3.x transition with python-2.7 update

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 8 09:01:08 EDT 2010

On 08/07/10 22:25, Massimiliano Torromeo wrote:
> When I saw the transition plans my first thought was "oh shhhh*t!"
>
> I really would like to start using python3 for everything but I don't
> see this coming anytime soon. There are libraries that I need that
> have not been ported to python3 yet.
>
> Actually I use a lot of personal python scripts on a variety of
> distributions (arch, debian, centos, slackware and even freebsd)
> keeping them in sync using a git repository and now archlinux is going
> to make things complicated but I don't really see any benefit from it.

Just put a python2 symlink somewhere in your path pointing to your
chosen python version (if that distro does not already provide one) and
use "/usr/bin/env python2" at the start of your scripts.  In fact, that
probably makes things less complicated as you can choose what 2.x
version that symlink points at rather than whatever version
/usr/bin/python provides.

Allan