[aur-general] TU application for Thomas Dziedzic

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:15:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann at t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 09.06.2010 20:53, schrieb Thomas Dziedzic:
>>
>> My main goals initially are maintaining [community] packages which
>> includes fixing bugs in those packages, and maintaining the integrity
>> of the AUR, for instance, looking over PKGBUILDs submitted to the AUR
>> and responding to comments made in aur-general.
>>
>> I'm mainly interested in science/math/unix-philosophy packages.
>> Although there aren't many of those that are orphans in the community
>> repos right now. I could also maintain other orphans, most notably the
>> outdated ones, in community for some time just to update and tidy them
>> up.
>>
>> I am not necessarily that interested in developing the web site,
>> although if there are any outstanding problems I can certainly take a
>> look at the problems.
>>
>> P.S. If you think grass is bad, you should see sage-mathematics!!! :P
>>
> well, sage-mathematics is not a package, it is a distribution (btw, do you
> know scilab?). Some years ago I asked on this list if it should go to
> community, and the short discussion ended in the conclusion, that it
> should not. But I am fine with disussing it again.
>
> I wish you good luck for your application.
>
> Stefan

I guess you could call it a distribution which puts a lot of tools
under a common interface because that's basically what it is.
Afaik, the programs that come with it are isolated to the package. Too
bad it wont make it to community then, since I was hoping to spare a
lot of compilation time for people :P

With regard to scilab, I haven't used it myself, but it certainly
looks interesting. I'll take a look at it later today.