[aur-general] [community] repository cleanup

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 16 19:31:55 CET 2010

On 16 November 2010 19:03, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:34:11 +0100
> schrieb Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org>:
>
>> Hi TUs,
>> we are here again. After the success with [extra] (DEVs adopted ~80
>> packages, TUs ~60), I want to reduce the number of orphans packages
>> in [community]. Actually, they are 84 (82, I just adopted two...).
>>
>> The list is here[1]. Simply cross out the package which you want to
>> maintain in [community]. Adoption is not required, but would be nice.
>> Packages will be moved to AUR this Saturday 20th.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> [1]
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Community_Repo_Cleanup
>
> squashfs-tools
>
> What have you told me about that when you have moved this from [extra]
> to [community]?
>
> Now it shall be moved to AUR? And why was it moved to [community] if it
> is an orphan there? And isn't this needed to building LiveCDs including
> the Arch Linux installation CDs?
>
> You really should think about that.

Man, you are right. In fact, I was just studying archiso and
squashfs-tools is one of the dependencies. If no-one is going to
maintain it, I will :)

See, as long as it's important and there is someone on the team who
actually needs it, it'll be fine. I was a Gentoo user just like you,
and came to Arch Linux for exactly the same reasons. I do not think it
is straying away just because some orphaned packages are being
"dropped" to AUR. So, come on board and save them! Even if something's
dropped, it's not like it can't be adopted back if and when deemed
important. It is not the end!

You see, the way Arch started and the way it is now is not going to be
any different just because it has "grown" popular. I think you should
know this very well, being an Archer for some time. This is not the
first time we have had disagreements between users (a developer/TU is
a user). For some historical fun, google the term 'archmilkers'.