[aur-general] AUR helpers in [community]?

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Nov 18 21:43:15 CET 2010

On 18 November 2010 16:30, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can AUR helpers go into [community]? `burp` and `cower` each have over ten
> votes and qualify, but I never see AUR helpers in binary form so I thought I
> would ask. --Kaiting.

Good that you asked. Otherwise, you could've made a wrong move.

1) AUR build helpers

The AUR is an "unsupported" repository. You should know what that
entails. Supporting such tools indirectly integrates them into the
system, creating misunderstandings which we do not want to deal with.

2) AUR search helpers

This is similar to the above. They communicate with a database which
may be mistakenly assumed to be (semi-)supported.

3) AUR upload/download helpers

Same as well.

So, IMO, it is best that such tools, regardless of the extent of
features, be left in AUR. I myself use slurpy for upload, and rarely
do I use the search/download features :)