[aur-general] Assigning Numbers to User and Group

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 05:44:40 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:52:46AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Is it important that the UID/GID are well-known, i.e. are the same on all
> systems, that would be the case if they are hardcoded somewhere in the code?

The actual numeric values don't matter to me all that much.  From what
I had seen in other scripts, I thought one had to know the numeric ID
of a group to assign a user to it when doing the useradd command.  I
can look into that further.

> If that isn't the case then just create the UID/GID as system accounts
> instead.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing it that way.  I'll have to see what ways
one can create users and specify the primary group without knowing the
calculated numeric gid.

Thanks for the suggestion.