[aur-general] multilib

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Tue Sep 7 08:19:20 EDT 2010

Nathan O wrote:
> I tried the Arch32-light package Xyne made, but I may have done something
> wrong, so I uninstalled it. Then I found out that, don't know how, my root
> password wasn't correct, had to readd gnome-session to > .xinitrc and
> resetup pidgin(including pidgin plugin tha twas installed) and Thunderbird.
> It is like I just installed all those apps and had to set them up it is
> really weird.
>
> I am afraid of tempting that again :) So I thought maybe use mkarchroot -r
> /aur/root and setup the pacman.conf to use i686 and such. What do you think,
> will this method work good?

I just want to interject that the only way arch32-light would affect anything
in your home directory is if you chose to mount it in the chroot and then ran
something else in the chroot that alters files in $HOME. By default the chroot
does not even mount /home and I have added several checks to the daemon and
other scripts to prevent accidental wiping of data on mounted drives.

Also note that it is possible to mount e.g. $HOME/home32 on the host as $HOME
in the chroot.

Btw, if anyone is interested, arch32-light no longer abuses the post_install
function to set up the chroot... it now includes a script named
"arch32initialize" ;)

Regards,
Xyne