[aur-general] google-talkplugin

Dominik Mayer dominik.mayer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:24:53 EST 2011

Hey all,

I'm the maintainer of google-talkplugin. For one month there has been a new
PKGBUILD called google-talkplugin-amd64 which is actually doing the exact
same thing as the google-talkplugin PKGBUILD. It downloads the deb package
and extracts it. But because it's called "amd64" people think that the
other one is only for 32 bit systems.

In the very first days of the package, Ionut sent a mail to me and the
maintainer of a similar package, writing that the AUR should not have two
identical packages. I think this still applies. I tried to contact the
maintainer of the new package but he doesn't seem to understand that the
packages are identical. He says that many of the 32 bit libraries in
google-talkplugin are not needed (see the comments at
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53971). I added them because they
are either needed according to the original deb file or according to other
users that said the plugin wouldn't work without them. The other maintainer
can't tell me which of the libraries he thinks are unnecessary so I can't
remove them.

Cheers,

Dominik