[aur-general] [community], [unsupported] and AUR

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Feb 3 00:39:52 EST 2011

Am Thu, 3 Feb 2011 04:14:16 +0100
schrieb Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca>:

> I also believe that most users immediately think of [unsupported] and
> only [unsupported] when speaking of the AUR.

No, I guess most new Arch Linux users like me in the beginning of using
Arch Linux are quite confused about the parallel usage of the terms
[unsupported] and AUR.

Every binary repo is called something in square brackets like [core],
[extra], [community] etc., which are activated or deactivated
in /etc/pacman.conf, but there is no repo [unsupported]. And at least I
haven't found any reference on the AUR homepage to the term
[unsupported]. From the user's point of view there is only AUR.

So I guess at least for new users it should be made clear somewhere in
the wiki and/or on the AUR homepage that AUR and [unsupported] are the
same. Or the term [unsupported] or at least the square brackets around
unsupported should be dropped completely.

Heiko