[aur-general] new aur mirror

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:14:35 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM, keenerd <keenerd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.  I am now mirroring the AUR continuously, and am starting to
> open it up to public access.  It is not a perfect byte-for-byte clone,
> as I felt like adding a few features :-)
>
> For now, there is an enhanced RPC database.  It's got everything from
> the original RPC calls, plus some extra fields that people always seem
> to want.  Access it through
> http://aur.kmkeen.com/rpc/name_of_package
> Yes, it is 100% static.  This was the only way my little VPS could
> keep up with the beastly Sigurd machine.
>
> I've also got all the tarballs mirrored, but forgot to add the links
> to the RPC info (mirror/pkgname/pkgname.tar.gz). Will fix that
> shortly.  There are also search indexes prepared for description,
> depends and required-by but the regex search is not open to the world
> yet.  Maybe after I get some sleep.
>
> Much thanks goes to Falconindy for ideas, encouragement and patience.
>
> I am currently taking feature requests.  Go wild.

Nice. I'm always glad to see people working on different ways to access
the AUR.

It seems like there are a few people that are interested in mirroring
the AUR. I've been thinking about how we could improve it for a long
time, but recently I thought it might be a good idea to just give some
resourceful users convenient access to the data so they can implement
novel ways of managing and distributing the packages.

I'd like to test a theory that one reason we haven't seen much
development is because all the data is held hostage on the AUR server.

Also, do you have an scm repo with the code you've used to implement
your interface? Thanks.