[aur-general] Dropping tango-icon-theme{,-extras}

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Tue Nov 22 04:17:47 EST 2011

Hi!

All sources hosted at tango.freedesktop.org became inaccessible [1] a
couple of days ago, probably due to some software upgrade on
freedesktop.org.

I contacted upstream yesterday and was told that tango-icon-theme,
tango-icon-theme-extras and icon-naming-utils are dead and that we
shouldn't rely on upstream sources being available (they even mentioned
they probably won't care about the 404). It has been suggested to use
gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-extras instead.

Given that xfce4-settings seems to be the only package depending on
tango-icon-theme, I'd suggest to:

* Remove the "tango-icon-theme" dependency from xfce4-settings (this
  shouldn't break anything, does it?)

* Move both tango-icon-theme and tango-icon-theme-extras to
  [unsupported].

* Think about what to do with icon-naming-utils. We seem to need those
  for gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, so putting the
  source tarball on our source mirror might be the best thing to do
  (unless there's a proper alternative, of course).

Objections and other suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library#Download