[aur-general] Please remove my AUR account

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Nov 30 13:50:48 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 07:07:29PM +0100, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> Would you have replied without an insult or politically incorrectness,
> striking up the debate? I'm sorry for insulting you, but I think we
> should either drop this or take it off-list. Contrary to popular belief,
> I'm just someone who likes to speak openly, not a "rude person", but
> someone you can actually talk to.

I replied to you knowing full well that you and this person are one and
the same:

http://ompldr.org/vYmowcw

Had you omitted the sophmoric attitude, I would have omitted my
closing remark and perhaps had a more lighthearted attitude about your
request.

> (See the bottom of http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=17039, and
> yes, I still believe the criticism was valid at that point, but I could
> have said it more politely. This is just another example of me being an
> asshole sometimes, but I don't usually mean it. "He who is without being
> the occasional asshole on the internet among you, let him to be the
> first to throw a stone at me. Ow. That hurts.")

And as long as those remarks still exist, lavandero's comment is still
100% accurate. Feel free to delete those remarks if you don't want some
foul stain left on your internet e-peen. And even if you don't mean to
be an asshole, it's the internet. No one sees your intentions. You are
what you've written -- an asshole.

> Chances might be that someone hacks my "dead" account and uses it for
> posting malicious PKGBUILDs. After all, the AUR is written in PHP, no?
> PHP had some very serious and embarassing security issues in the not too
> distant past, and there is no guarantee that this will not happen again
> tomorrow or maybe next week. This would clear my conciousness that
> there's somewhere an account lurking in the dark. Someone might then
> mistake me for the account owner and blame me for the malicious doings
> of a third party.

Even if you can't delete your account, you're able to change your email
to something nonexistant and use a 32 char password that would keep a
hacker at bay until we realized a week later that they were still
pounding on our server. That should satiate your paranoia, no? Hey,
while you're at it, you could change your name to mine, and post a lot of
nasty comments. You're good at that.

> I will - and that's One Hundred Percent certain - never use this account
> again. It was sometimes fun working with some of you, but I
> fundamentally disagree with Arch's interpretation of "lightweight" and
> the way releases are handled, but this has nothing to do in this thread
> and will supposedly be taken as a flamebait (because "KISS" and
> "rolling-release" seems to be the holy grail of using Arch and
> disagreeing is taken as a personal insult by many users). I do not want
> a flamewar, just to clarify my reasons, since some of you seem to wonder
> why I'd want to delete that account anyway.

Cool story. "Arch doesn't suit my needs anymore" would have been
sufficient. We didn't ask you to come here, and we certainly haven't
forced you to stay. It speaks to your character that you're able to
realize when something doesn't work for you and just move on.

> If someone points me to the AUR code, I might make one very last
> contribution, namely implementing a way to purge an account, with some
> options like leaving forum posts intact. I also think, usernames should
> not be reused, in order to avoid confusion. Over all, the project sounds
> doable, however I have no idea yet how the AUR's database looks.

That's more like it -- the Arch spirit of wanting to get involved and
be a contributing member of the community rather than making scathing
remarks towards someone who might not know the better way to implement
something.

The AUR's codebase can found in the same place as the rest of our
in-house projects:

http://projects.archlinux.org/aur.git

If history has taught me anything, it's that we'll never hear about this
ever again. Feel free to prove me wrong and actually submit patches that
make it through the review process and into the repo. We'll all be
better off for it.

> To Pierre, thanks for your statement.
> Thanks to all of you for your past few years of cooperation (more than
> two, but I didn't count how many exactly). I've learned much through
> arch, but now it's time to finally say goodbye. My last remaining Arch
> machine will go down on 2011-12-09.

I'm sorry that we can't be friends.

Regards,
Dave