[aur-general] Abandonware in the AUR

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:33:29 EDT 2011

We have a discussion on the forums [1] about Arch's policy towards
what packages can be provided in the AUR with the focus on
abandonware.
User megadriver found a couple packages [2] that provide a means of
downloading games for free (as in beer) even though those games can be
bought.

Apps can go in and out of the abandonware status as their availability
changes: now you can buy them, now you can't. Do we care about this or
is it up to the user to check if the stuff he installs is legal?
Should we set up a bot to scan for potential 'warez' stuff?

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=128832
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1008451#p1008451