[aur-general] Idea for AUR improvement

Marcin 'sirmacik' Karpezo marcin at karpezo.pl
Fri Jun 1 10:02:34 EDT 2012

Hi there!

Few days ago I’ve installed Archlinux on my laptop again. One of the
first changes I’ve noticed in my *.archlinux.org accounts was loosing
all packages I was maintaining in AUR.

It’s completely understandable because I was the one to say in one of
my comments that I hope to never use Arch again… but here I am having
Arch on the second partition, next to Gentoo.

The idea is to add some tracking of AUR package maintainers (I’m not
sure if there isn’t some system like this first part already). If they
have more than some number of packages out of date and they haven’t
been logged in some time lets orphan their packages. This is how it is
working now but manually.

The next step is retrieval. If our maintainer logged in again and he’s
pushing some new packages to AUR lets bring him his packages. But not
all, only those which are still orphaned.

Such automation will be IMO a big improvement to the whole system. Just
an idea, but if anyone is interested in implementing it I’ll be glad to
help.

--
Regards
Marcin 'sirmacik' Karpezo